Thursday, March 4, 2010

God. A biography - Why Israel?

This language bit is getting me down. Do I say the god of the Hebrew's because all this is written in Hebrew? Do I say the god of Abraham because he is the one that fecundity was first promised to? Do I say the god of Israel because he is the first one that chose his god? Do I say the god of Judah because those are the people that were ascendent when the books were compiled? Do I say the god of the Jews, because that is the name most commonly used today?

Do I say they are all the same thing? This I can not do. I am trying to understand something, not pretend that I do. And I am trying to free myself just a bit from the fetters that other's language keep me in.


2 comments:

  1. ... and come to think of it, Abraham, Israel, Judah... these are characters in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. careful attention to language is important - but it can get me down so low i can't say anything. were we to say everything perfectly, all would be ineffable at a point. in a class i had, we referred to the god of the hebrews prior to settlement, then the god of abram, and on and on and on and - darn that was useful, but it all gets a bit tedious. sometimes empty parenthesis might work? i don't intend to be silly here - i am feeling for you.

    ReplyDelete